This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Mac & Cheese

I haven't posted any recipes in a long time... sorry about that. Food blogging falls somewhere pretty low on my priority list, and while I do enjoy it, things have been hectic around here lately!

Here's a mac and cheese recipe that I've been tweaking over the past few months; I finally settled on the 'final' version. I think it strikes a good balance between the uber-healthy vegan mac and cheese recipes I've tried (and been somewhat disappointed with) in the past and the super-decadent variations that inevitably leave me feeling guilty and yucky. And it's one of the only things I cook that Carlos will actually eat. (I choose to believe that is entirely due to his toddler picky-ness, and not a comment on my culinary talent!)


Mac & Cheese
  • 16 oz. whole wheat pasta of your choice (I like fusilli best)
  • 2-1/4 cups plain soymilk (or other non-dairy milk of your choice)
  • 2 T. red miso paste
  • 1 roasted red pepper (roast it yourself or go the easy way and buy them in a jar)
  • 1/4 cup raw cashews
  • 1 T. lemon juice
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 T. cornstarch
  • 1 cup Daiya vegan cheese shreds (I prefer the white variety in this recipe but either works fine; other brands will work as well if you don't have Daiya), plus a little extra for sprinkling on top
  • 2 T. Earth Balance margarine (optional)
Set a large pot of water on the stove to boil. While you're waiting for it to boil, combine soymilk, miso, red pepper, cashews, lemon juice, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and cornstarch in a blender and process until totally smooth.

Around the time that your water boils and you begin to cook your pasta, pour the blender mixture into a separate pot, add Daiya cheese and margarine, and cook over medium heat, watching carefully and stirring often to prevent scalding. You want to get the cheese sauce to a gentle boil for a few minutes so the corn starch will thicken the mixture up.

Drain cooked pasta and return to large pot. Pour cheese sauce on top and stir. Scoop into individual bowls and top with additional shredded cheese.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Mmmm, mac...
And yes, you are fine cook. One day Carlos will realize that! lol