Yesterday I got a summertime craving for some super traditional macaroni salad. Amazingly, I don't think this is something I've craved in the ~10 years since I've been vegan, and I think this is the first time I've ever made a vegan version. It turned out really good so I thought I'd share.
Vegan Macaroni SaladI wanted something really traditional so I went with white pasta, but I'd be curious to see how this might work with brown rice pasta...
Cook the pasta, drain, and rinse with cold water until it's no longer hot. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients, stir, add pasta, and stir again. Chill for at least several hours or if possible, overnight.
- 1 lb. pasta of your choice
- 1 cup Vegenaise (reduced fat version if you can find it)
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 sweet yellow onion, diced small
- 2 stalks celery, diced small
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and diced small (I used green but I think any color would work fine)
- 1 large grated carrot
- 1 small can sliced olives