This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Thursday, September 6, 2012

New Skills / New Work

About a month ago I drove up to Bend, Oregon to learn how to fabricate in palladium. The class was taught by the talented and kind jewelry artist Jim Dailing. I had a wonderful time learning how to create beautiful things with this incredible metal, and I'm excited to start offering many new designs in 950 palladium, which is a noble metal in the platinum family that is nickel-free and hypoallergenic, and has a brighter silvery-white color than any of the white gold alloys. It is slightly more affordable than gold as well. 

On the way home I took a slight detour to take in the beauty of Crater Lake, which I last visited on my honeymoon 15+ years ago.

Since I have my priorities straight, the first order of business was to take a picture of an adorable tiny chipmunk.


Then, on to the amazing non-furry-friend-related scenery...



What an incredibly beautiful spot! Here's a photo of my very first palladium ring, which I made during the class...
  

palladium sapphire ring

It was a super inspiring experience for me, and made me realize that this is the first professional development I've enjoyed in four years! Yikes... I need to prioritize that, especially now that Carlos is getting older. Of course, even after the best travel experience, it's always nice to come home to the family, both human and non-human. :-)

 Foster dog Pedro on the studio couch

No comments: