This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Monday, June 27, 2011

Macaroni Salad

vegan macaroni salad
Yesterday I got a summertime craving for some super traditional macaroni salad. Amazingly, I don't think this is something I've craved in the ~10 years since I've been vegan, and I think this is the first time I've ever made a vegan version. It turned out really good so I thought I'd share.
Vegan Macaroni Salad
  • 1 lb. pasta of your choice
  • 1 cup Vegenaise (reduced fat version if you can find it)
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 sweet yellow onion, diced small
  • 2 stalks celery, diced small
  • 1 bell pepper, seeded and diced small (I used green but I think any color would work fine)
  • 1 large grated carrot
  • 1 small can sliced olives
Cook the pasta, drain, and rinse with cold water until it's no longer hot. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients, stir, add pasta, and stir again. Chill for at least several hours or if possible, overnight.
I wanted something really traditional so I went with white pasta, but I'd be curious to see how this might work with brown rice pasta...

1 comment:

Lori Lynn said...

It looks delicious. We may be trying something similar this week. We made a vegan potato salad with almost the same ingredients and it was delicious. For now, while I am trying to lose weight, I will try to keep my intake of Veganaise (even low-fat) to a minimum.