This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Sunday, January 22, 2012

New Stones

Limiting myself to working exclusively fair trade stones, no matter how noble my intentions may be, can sometimes make me feel artistically... limited. I see beautiful stones for sale that sing to me with design possibilities, but I won't buy them because I don't know their provenance (or worse yet, I do know and it's not good). So it's especially exciting when I ever-so-occasionally stumble across a new fair trade gemstone vendor, and better still when said new vendor has certain types of stones for sale that I've not had access to in the past. I am happy to say that I recently discovered such a source! Behold... :-)

fair trade sapphire
Fair trade sapphire, 5mm, 0.7 carats

purple sapphire
Fair trade sapphire, 5mm, 0.6 carats
You guys, it's purple!!!

ethical pink sapphire
Fair trade sapphire, 4.5mm, 0.3 carats

fair trade rubyFair trade ruby, 5mm, 0.7 carats

blue spinelFair trade spinel, 5mm, 0.5 carats

At the moment, all are up for grabs for custom orders, but I don't expect that to last for long before I can't resist just doing whatever I want with them. :-)

3 comments:

Alice Schmidt said...

Hey
I just discovered your blog and I am very interested in fair trade stones. But where do you buy your fair trade gemstones?

Tamara said...

Hi Alice -

You can click on links to most of my stone suppliers on this page of my website: http://www.mcfarlanddesigns.com/fair-trade-gemstones.htm

However, the stones in this post have not yet been added to that page - they came from a company called Ruby Fair.

Alice Schmidt said...

Tank you very much