So while this information may not directly affect my own summer plans, I thought it was really interesting and would be good to keep in mind for future years. Maybe it will influence some of your decisions as well...
From the No Impact Man blog (Making Summer Vacation Choices):
- One round-trip, long-haul flight causes as much contribution to climate change as—get this—an entire year of driving.
- Vacation closer to home.
- Take direct flights that don’t zigzag to your destination.
- Combine three weekend trips into one week-long trip to reduce travel and flights
- Take the train or bus instead
- One less round trip means 6000 lbs less greenhouse gas
- If you must fly, buy a carbon offset from Native Energy