This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Sunday, October 3, 2010

October Jewelry For Charity

I have been pretty lax lately about posting updates on my Jewelry for Charity project. For those who care to keep track though, I have been updating the recipients and donation totals in the sidebar here on my blog. And for those who haven't heard about it already, basically it's just me donating 5% of my gross sales each month to a different charity. I'm not sure how much interest there is from my readership in this topic - if you miss it, I can start posting monthly updates again - let me know in the comments if that's the case.

I did want to post a quick note this month because there's a special reason for my charity selection. October is my son's birthday month (he's turning five), and in honor of my little water- and sea-life-loving wild man, this month's donation is going to Sea Shepherd, a conservation group working to protect marine life and habitats all around the world.

Happy early birthday Carlitos!!!

Updated 10/7/10:
There's been quite a bit of controversy in the news these past few days about Sea Shepherd, and it's hard to know what's true and what isn't, but in light of the yuckiness I've been reading, I've decided instead to support Ocean Conservancy this month - same general cause but without the drama.

1 comment:

Heather & Dave said...

Dave and I are super supportive of this part of your business and it is one of the reasons we chose to have you make our rings, so please keep us updated as to where the 5% goes!

Dave of course will be particularly happy with this month's charity as he is so passionate about ocean conservation and works at the Monterey Bay Aquarium (for only 2 more weeks!). We'll miss you guys when you come through!