This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Friday, January 9, 2009

Fun New Shopping Site!


I just discovered 1000 Markets yesterday, and I love it! Much like our beloved Etsy, it's a site where independent artists and craftspeople can sell their wares and connect with other artists. So far I've noticed several things that I prefer over Etsy. The look is a little cleaner and prettier (which is saying quite a lot, since I generally approve of Etsy's overall appearance) - I think this is mostly due to the fact that 1000 Markets staff reviews new shops before allowing them in. As far as I can tell, they aren't actually judging artists' work, but rather the quality of their photographs, banners, descriptions, etc. Another feature that is a lot of fun is the markets themselves; in addition to individual shops, you can also shop virtual marketplaces. These are groupings of artists organized around a theme - either a geographical area, or a style, or lots of other things (wedding products, luxe items, etc.) - it's kind of like being able to visit a bunch of different craft fairs all in one day from the comfort of your couch. :-) Anyways, go check it out, it's a lot of fun. I set up a shop there but I haven't loaded too much yet.

4 comments:

Jaime/GirlLovesGloss said...

Ohh i went to check it out, signed up, then saw a small disclaimer saying they could not support shops outside of the USA.
:-S We Canadians always get the cold shoulder!

Tamara said...

Bummer! I think they are really new; I bet they will get their international capacity up and running eventually...

Nathalie said...

Hi Bella and T... the problem with the site is that they only take Amazon Checkout as a form of payment, and Amazon checkout does not support any other country than the USA. I have spoken to the site owner about this, and they said that they will only support International sellers once Amazon starts supporting the various countries. I'M not holding my breath... Amazon is really slow to move when it comes to that sort of thing :(

Let's hope that Amazon will soon accept Canada.

Cheers,
Nat

Jaime/GirlLovesGloss said...

Thanks for the info Nat!!