This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Sunday, January 11, 2009

More Foodstuffs

Aren't I chatty today? :-)

One of our Humboldt Vegans, Bella, brought this tasty dip to the potluck last night, and I really enjoyed it so I made some today for myself and Carlos. It makes a great dip for sliced apples, and I can also imagine it being fabulous tossed into a fruit salad.

Bella's Apple Dip

1 box silken tofu (I used firm, light silken tofu)
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla

Blend all ingredients in blender and chill. That's it!

Tonight for dinner, I made FatFree Vegan's North African Chickpea and Kale Soup, but because I am a carboholic, I added dumplings. I was quite pleased with the result, and I'm thinking about possibly replacing the two cups of water with soymilk next time for a creamier effect. (Yes, I know, I went and fatted up a fat free recipe, so shoot me.)

To include the dumplings, while the first simmer is happening (the one without the kale), combine 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a mixing bowl. Cut in 2 tablespoons soy margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, then stir in 3/4 cup soymilk. Just after you add the kale and two cups water, spoon the dumpling batter onto the soup. Simmer for 10 minutes covered, then remove lid and continue to simmer for another 10-15 minutes. Enjoy!

1/12/08 update - I just heard from Bella and her original recipe was a little different - 1 cup silken tofu, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and 1/4 cup maple syrup. However you make it though, it's bound to be delicious! :-)

No comments: