This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Saturday, September 15, 2007

A Delicious Interview with VeganHoney

Well my dears, I know it's been a while since I've posted an interview, but you see, I was just waiting for a worthy subject! And when I recently became aware of brand new Etsy seller, VeganHoney, I knew I'd found my next victim...


Don’t let the name fool you, Brooklyn based VeganHoney (aka Kymberlie) uses no animal ingredients in any of their baked goods. But you'll never tell the difference! Five percent of all of Kymberlie's sales go to various animal advocacy, environmental, and social justice organizations.

And now, on to the interview...

Tell us a little about your work...

Well, I have always dabbled in vegan baking, bringing goodies to school and as I got older to the office. People seemed to enjoy eating the treats as much as I enjoyed baking them. It became a win-win situation. I began taking orders and soon found some of my goodies in shops too! I lived in California at the time. Now that I am in back in NY, I am trying to establish a Vegan Honey presence here too.

What is the best/most exciting thing about working with your medium?
I get to eat it! Ha! Seriously, I get to slip into the role of a mad scientist. I’ll add a bit of lemon here, a lil’ dab of cinnamon there, change the baking time, try different brands of soymilk, etc. My goal is just to create vegan goodies that taste good! Right now I am trying to perfect my Fauxstess line. Yep, vegan twinkies, cupcakes, ding-dongs and more.


What is the most challenging/frustrating thing about working with your medium?
I find it really frustrating that I can’t send all my goods through the mail. I make some really fantastic cakes, but I know they would arrive all smushed. Icing can be incredibly delicate and so can certain cakes. I am still looking for ways…any ideas?

How else do you market/sell your work besides Etsy?
Here in NYC, I’d say word of mouth brings in most of my clients. I also have a MySpace page and am currently in the process of getting my goodies into local cafes and restaurants.


What Etsy sellers have you recently bought from?

Well, I just purchased some cards from Quirky n’ Berkeley and BitsyCreations just designed a new logo and banner for me.

What advice can you offer for other Etsy sellers?
Well, I am a newbie to Etsy! So send the advice my way folks!

Do you have pets?
More like, they have me. I am ruled by three misbehaved dogs (Bruno, a pit bull, Brittney, a rottie and Jack, a senior Maltese mix), four overweight cats (Stan, Piper, Mama, and Manch) and one cantankerous bird named Larry. They are all rescues.

Little bacon cupcakes
(Don't be alarmed - they are part of Kymberlie's vegan dog treats collection!)


Do you have a day job?
Hmm…well up until recently I was the managing editor of Satya Magazine, a monthly publication focusing on environmentalism, social justice and animal advocacy. Unfortunately, along with so many independent print publications these days, Satya closed it’s doors after 13 years. Right now, I am baking up a storm and working as a freelance writer.

What is your favorite thing to do on a rainy day?
In no particular order….bake cupcakes, read mystery books, knit scrabble cozies and play with scary vintage dolls.

Tell us a little about your path to veganism...
Well, I was raised on a small animal sanctuary where I was truly taught to respect all living creatures. I have been living with animals my whole life. I became a vegetarian at an incredibly young age and a vegan at 15. Also after college I worked with several national animal advocacy organizations working on a variety of campaigns.


Do you have a favorite vegan recipe you'd like to share?
Sure. This recipe is one of my favorites! Simple and super tasty, no one will ever believe this is tofu. It is rich, velvety, and totally decadent.
Decadent Chocolate Mousse Pie

Chocolate Mousse Filling

2 C. Tofu (8 oz. soft and 8 oz. firm)
½ C. Oil
1 C. Confectioners Sugar
8 Tb. Cocoa Powder
3 tsp. Vanilla

In a blender or food processor, blend together all ingredients until smooth and creamy. Pour into prepared pie shell and chill for several hours before serving.

Graham Cracker Peanut Butter Pie Crust

1 ½ Graham Cracker Crumbs
3 Tbs. Creamy Peanut Butter
4 Tbs. Water

In medium bowl, mix together all ingredients. Press mixture into the bottom and sides of a pie plate, using the back of a spoon.


Thanks Kymberlie for a fun interview!
Kymberlie's Etsy shop is www.VeganHoney.etsy.com.


1 comment:

Rach said...

I'm not a vegan, but damn that looks like some good sweets! Love the beads also.