This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Sunday, January 13, 2008

New Designs!

I've been working hard to catch up on some custom orders, plus create some new pieces, and today I finally have some things to share...

large labradorite ringAnother big round labradorite ring

labradorite cocktail ringI've been wanting to experiment more with non-shiny finishes lately; partly because I find them more visually interesting, and partly because it's a pain in the butt to get a perfect mirror finish on everything I make! I like the way this turned out.

smoky quartz ringI'm not sure about this one. It's a beautiful, large smoky quartz cab, but something is missing... I'm going to try oxidizing it and polishing it to bring out the texture of the band and see if that helps.

blue moonstone ringAnother Caribbean blue moonstone ring (rainbow moonstone over a thin layer of blue resin); this one is spoken for but I made another similar one to list in my shop.

blue tourmaline ringAfghan tourmaline & sterling silver ring

chrysocolla ring silverGem chrysocolla & sterling silver ring

blue chrysocolla ring...and another view of the same.

square labradorite ringCustom order cushion cut labradorite & sterling silver ring

dangly chrysoprase earringsDangly chrysoprase & oxidized sterling silver earrings

oxidized chrysoprase earrings...and another view of the same.

chrysoprase labradorite braceletChrysoprase & oxidized sterling silver bracelet with chyrsoprase, labradorite, & Thai silver danglies.

chrysoprase silver bracelet...and another view of the same. Bot the earrings and bracelet above were inspired by this necklace; I just love the contrast between the blackened silver and the glowy chrysoprase.

3 comments:

Julia said...

Beautiful rings, especially the ones with the Afghan tourmaline and the chrysocolla. I also like the idea of how you used the moonstone and resin to get such a nice effect!

Oh, and I've been searching for chrysoprase beads like the ones you've used in the last pictures but can't find it anywhere... Hope you'll be getting some more and putting them in your shop :)

JudyM said...

Yes, all beautiful rings! Did you oxidize the teardrop stone one yet? I think that would look good on this one. And I agree, the resin under the moonstone really works well. I also especially like the little chrysocolla ring.
Also, the chrysoprase earrings and bracelet are great.
Love, Judy

Tamara said...

Thanks for the compliments.

Julia, I am going to try to get more of the chrysoprase later this month. Hopefully my supplier got more; I think I might have cleaned him out last time but I'm not sure. Oddly enough, those beads didn't sell well in my bead shop... that's what inspired me to use them up myself! And I'm quite pleased with the results, if I do say so myself. :-)

Judy, I haven't oxidized the smoky quartz ring but am hoping to get to it tonight. Looking forward to seeing you soon!

T