This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Friday, January 25, 2008

Oh no!

Carlos has a cavity! Matt took him to the dentist today (I was at my own dentist appointment at the time) because we had noticed a tiny dark speck on one of his molars and wanted to have it checked out. Sure enough, it's a tiny little cavity. Of course we were surprised because he eats really healthy and we brush his little toothies twice every day (although he often fights like crazy). The hygenist told Matt that sometimes when the little buds of their teeth are forming, a little air pocket is left and it eventually becomes a cavity, so no blame on us, whew! The good news is that we caught it so early, it's really just a tiny little thing, and will require only the most minute little bit of drilling. Even so, I think I'm going to let Matt take him in for the cavity work without me. I get so worried about things like that, and Carlos picks up on my freak-outedness, plus he' s just generally more compliant and laid back with Papa...

The moral of the story is to take your kids in as soon as you see some little thing like this and don't let it get bad. I'm relieved that we caught it right away.

4 comments:

Vegan Girl (Roni Seabury) said...

Poor Carlos,

If he likes music and can stand headphones on his ears you can play his favorite songs on a portable cd player/mp3 player while he's in the dentist chair and he might not think about the drilling so much.

Anonymous said...

You probably already thought of this, but get a children's book about visiting the dentist. Find out in advance if they give a balloon, toy, etc. so you can pump him up in advance. I like vegan girl's suggestion and I'll bet the dentist has other tricks up his or her sleeve.

Tamara said...

His dentist is the coolest - Matt said when he took him in to have it checked out yesterday, they put headphones on him and there was a TV screen up above that he was watching/listening to Diego on (his favorite). He also gets a balloon there, which we talk up every time he goes.

Anonymous said...

He told me today, when I asked about his trip to the dentist, that he got a balloon. I asked him what color the balloon is and he said "red". Right?