This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Bits & Pieces

I just have a few random, unrelated things to share today. First I need to brag about my talented husband. Remember our recent shed debacle? Well, the outcome of that mess was our decision to build a new chicken house from scratch, one that is exactly what we want. Well, here we are, maybe a week out from that decision, and my hard-working husband already has it practically finished! It still needs a roof and paint, but look how cute it is already!

Human door

Chicken door

Nesting boxes (with a handy-dandy door to open from the outside to collect eggs)

Perch

Full frontal

I also snapped a few pictures today of our newly emerging flowers. Spring must be getting closer - I can't wait! I don't even know what these flowers are - they came from a bunch of bulbs that Carlos and I planted about a month ago. Anyone care to identify them for me?



The other day I walked in on Carlos playing with some paint bottles and bowls and I was so impressed that he had sorted the bottles into the coordinating colored bowls. Okay, so maybe I'm easily impressed (at least when it comes to Carlos)...


This morning I made the Chocolate Chip Scones from The Joy of Vegan Baking and they are delicious. I used whole wheat pastry flour and substituted dried cranberries for half of the chocolate chips. Carlos loves them.


And one last thought... is anyone else totally lusting over the Kindle? I want one. Bad. I'm hoping if I hold out until my birthday in October, maybe the price will come down some. I was already drooling over the thought if it just for reading novels, etc., but the other day I realized how incredibly spectacular it would be for cookbooks, and now I really, really want one. Of course, the list of available books isn't huge yet, but I imagine if it catches on, that will change.


7 comments:

Robin Marie said...

Those are Crocuses and Blue Hyacinths. Fabulous chicken coop!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Matt is so handy!! Great job on the coop.
Scones look tasty....
Hadn't heard about this kindle thing, pretty cool if it takes off! Think of all the paper it will save...

Tamara said...

Thanks for the ID, robin marie. Just in the last couple of hours since I photographed the crocuses, they have opened up. Too cute!

Melody Marie Murray said...

I think the blue hyacinths are called grape hyacinths (to distinguish them from the much larger, more fragrant Dutch hyacinths). Though grape hyacinths sometimes have the tiniest, most enchanting smell if you bring 'em inside and let them warm up.

jarvenpa said...

Melody is right, and the little yellow crocuses look like the early snow crocuses, not the bigger Dutch crocuses.
All the early bulbs are such a joy to the spirit.
(and nice chicken coop indeed!)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful coop! Just curious, when I saw your comment about the slidding door to collect the eggs it sort of confused me and I had to double check if I was on a vegan blog! I was under the impression that farm sanctuary left the eggs for the chcikens to eat for the nutrients. What are you going to do with their eggs? I'm not trying to be the vegan police, I'm simply curious! :) Cheers.

Tamara said...

Yep, I'm vegan, and have no desire to consume eggs, but my husband is not vegan, and he's looking forward to having truly humanely raised eggs to eat. :-)