This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Breakfast of Champions


I have been making a lot of smoothies lately, and this one's definitely a winner. Our household is overcome with sniffles, sneezes, and coughs, so I thought a power shot of Vitamin C would be a good idea. In a blender, I combined a handful each of strawberries (frozen), banana chunks (frozen), pineapple (from a can), and mango chunks (fresh), plus enough orange juice to almost cover the fruit, and a splash of flax oil. The results are so tropical and delicious, it's almost enough to make me forget it's winter and we're buried in a mountain of used tissues and cold medicine.

Oh, and the enormous cookie - that's a 'Big Gigantoid Crunchy Peanut Butter - Oatmeal Cookie' (recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance); mine didn't turn out so crunchy because I substituted applesauce for half the oil (I liked it softer though). I also used white whole wheat flour and added a cup of chocolate chips. I figured I could get away with having one for breakfast, what with all the whole grains and peanut butter.

Here's a somewhat blurry picture of Carlos enjoying a tropical smoothie and a bowl of fresh mango.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

on etsy's front page again!
Prehnite ring!
Sirpa

Anonymous said...

hey Tamara,

I substitute soy milk for the juice and add some almonds as well. You can use some Brown sugar(I skip). Yummy !!!