This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Sunday, June 3, 2007

Vegan Carrot Muffins and other good stuff

Okay, I have numerous (unrelated) things to post about today. First, I will share some sweet pictures of Carlos that we took yesterday, when we went to a car show about an hour South of where we live, which meant some nice sunshine instead of the usual Humboldt County fog.

(That's Matt's car in the background)

Me & Carlos

Next, I am excited to report the results of my first full month of fundraising with my 'Jewelry for Charity' project. In case you missed the original post, I've decided to donate a percentage of each month's sales to charity, and I will be choosing a different charity for each month. May was an awesome month for me, and I am happy to say that I raised $330 for WINGS-Guatemala! June's beneficiary is Vegan Outreach, and I have some fun things planned for the rest of the summer months, so stay tuned!

And finally, a muffin recipe... have you noticed I like muffins? (adapted from a recipe found on VegWeb.com)

Vegan Carrot Muffins

1-1/2 whole spelt flour or whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup oat bran
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup unrefined sugar
1/3 cup applesauce
1/4 cup soymilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
egg replacer equal to one egg (I use EnerG brand egg replacer)
3-4 carrots, grated
1/3 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix the first nine ingredients together (flour through ginger). In a separate bowl, mix remaining ingredients. Combine wet and dry ingredients; do not overmix. Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray and scoop batter into pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes. This makes about 10 muffins.

No comments: