This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Friday, November 28, 2008

Vegan Sources of Essential Nutrients

I put together this handy list of vegan sources of essential nutrients for my niece who is trying to go vegan, and I thought I would share it in case others can benefit from it. You can download a printer-friendly version to hang on your fridge here if you like.

Adapted from Raising Vegan Children in a Non-Vegan World by Erin Pavlina

Vitamin B12
  • Nutritional yeast
  • Fortified cereals
  • Fortified soymilk
  • Fortified juices
Calcium
  • Spinach
  • Chickpeas
  • Baked beans
  • Broccoli
  • Almonds
  • Dried apricots
  • Sesame seeds and tahini
  • Green leafy vegetables
Protein
  • Whole grains (oats, brown rice, pasta)
  • Nuts and seeds (tahini, almond butter, peanut butter)
  • Meat analogues
  • Legumes (tofu, lentils, split peas, beans)
Iron
  • Tofu
  • Garbanzo beans
  • Aduki beans
  • Blackstrap molasses
  • Black beans
  • Lentils
  • Pinto beans
  • Tofu dogs
  • Veggie burgers
  • Baked potatoes
To boost absorption of iron, serve the foods listed above with a good source of Vitamin C.

Zinc
  • Garbanzo beans
  • Lentils
  • Pinto beans
  • Firm tofu
  • Meat analogue deli slices
  • Almonds
  • Pine nuts
  • Sunflower seeds
Trail mix (nuts, seeds, and dried fruit) is great for zinc.

Omega-3 Fatty acids
  • Flaxseed, walnut, canola, soybean, & hempseed oils
  • Flaxseed (whole & ground)
  • Walnuts
  • Green leafy vegetables
Add ground flaxseeds to baked goods or as an egg replacer (1 T ground flaxseeds + 3 T water); use walnuts in baked goods and for snacks.

Omega-6 Fatty Acids
  • Corn, safflower, & sunflower oils
  • Walnuts
  • Tofu and other soy products

3 comments:

Canadian Rockies Art - Nathalie Girard said...

Hi Tamara! You're "da bombay" of the year girl!!! that list is awesome! :-)

I could not get to the printable version as the link doesn't seem to work, but I've copied/pasted your blog post and printed it so that I can stick it on my fridge.

Thank you! Merci! Danke!!!

Tamara said...

I just fixed the link so it works now. :-) Sorry about that!

jarsofheaven said...

this is very helpful! Thank you! My son is allergic to dairy and sometimes I'm not sure what to give him to best boost his diet.