This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Friday, December 5, 2008

Photoshop help?

Since Carlos arrived home with us just before Christmas 2006, we have developed a tradition of taking our annual family portrait around this time each of the past three years. I really don't like posed studio pictures, so we like to find someone to come out to the house and take pictures while we goof around in the yard. This year, my aunt Judy was head photographer, and Matt and I took a bunch as well. We got some cute shots; I'm not going to post all of them because they figure largely in our holiday cards and gift-giving this year and I don't want to ruin the surprise for any family or friends who will be receiving them soon.

All three years that we've taken these winter-time photos, we've been blessed with gorgeous weather on picture day. While the blue sky and sunshine is a rare treat around here, the conditions aren't the best for photography - we end up with pretty glarey light and harsh shadows. For example, I absolutely love this photo of Carlos, but it's soooo harshly lit -


I'm no Photoshop expert, but if any of you are, please tell me if there's anything I can do to mellow it out. I tried playing with the brightness/contrast feature and it helped a little bit, but not enough. I love the pose so much that I'll probably still have some prints made, but I wish I could pretty it up a bit first.

It was fun to have the birds around this year for our photo shoot. I think they added a lot to the ambiance. :-)

Me and Carlos with Marji, Abby, and Cally

The turkeys were the most curious and sociable by far - they were particularly interested in the soccer ball.

Carlos was pretty well-behaved at first, but after a while...

... a wardrobe change was required...

...and even after a change of clothes, he had more mischief up his sleeve. He found a big gopher pile in the yard and had dirt everywhere - inside all his clothes, all in his hair, nose, mouth, etc. Needless to say, that was the end of the photo session.

1 comment:

Nathalie said...

Gorgeous pictures Tamara :-) I can't help you with Photoshop because I don't know how to use it, but I lifted Carlos' picture from your blog post and played with it a bit with my Lightroom 2 to remove some of the bright sun glare. I've sent you a couple of pictures via Email. Let me know if that works for ya ;-)

Cheers,
Nat