This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

That was disappointing...

Well, I just finished watching Oprah. This is not my usual routine - I just tuned in because the vegan/animal rights community has been abuzz these past few days about the fact that Oprah would be doing a show today investigating the living conditions of the animals that become food for the majority of Americans. I had hoped that she would give some validation to the choice many of us have made to live as vegetarians and vegans, but unfortunately, the show amounted to nothing more than a romanticized portrayal of how great 'free range' farming is. Ugh.

Oprah also talked a lot about Proposition 2, which is coming up here in California for voters to decide in November. It would make living conditions for pregnant sows, veal calves, and laying hens ever-so-slightly better than they are now. I have mixed feelings about this bill, although I will ultimately vote 'yes.'

Well, this is complicated stuff and I could go on indefinitely, but I need to go wake Carlos up from his nap and take some dinner to Matt at the fire station, so maybe I'll think about elaborating later tonight and tomorrow...

2 comments:

Skye Jewelry said...

I agree Tamara. But I do have to say that some aspects of it were good for my friends who don't want to listen to me constantly. Sometimes they have to be eased into it, and this was a nice little bit of info to get them started. And it helped that it was Oprah, cause Oprah would never steer you wrong, right? ;)

Tamara said...

Yeah, you're probably right. I suppose it's a step in the right direction for a lot of people just to consider that animals even have feelings at all and are capable of suffering.

I have a tendency to expect too much of everyone and then always be let down. :-(