This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Vegan Mac & Cheese that doesn't suck

I have eaten a lot of crappy vegan mac and cheese. Most of the offerings out there are brown, pasty, and taste very yeasty. Mmm, delicious... (not!) So I was really happy to discover this great recipe, which is just a slightly tweaked variation of one I found on VegWeb.com. I think part of what makes this recipe good is that the pimentos make it the right shade of Velveta-esque orange.

But first, here's a picture of some simple but pretty little earrings I made the other day, because I hate posts with no pictures.


Cheesy Macaroni and "Cheese"

4 ounce jar of pimentos
1/4 cup raw cashews
2 cups soymilk
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons soy margarine, optional (adds a richer flavor)
16 ounces (1 pound) vegan macaroni noodles, cooked

Blend cashews and pimento in food processer for a couple of minutes, scraping sides a few times. Add remaining ingredients (except noodles) and blend until well combined. Pour mixture into a saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often to prevent scalding. Once sauce has started to simmer, reduce heat and cook for a few more minutes. Pour sauce over cooked noodles and garnish with soy parmesan if you wish. This sauce also works great for vegan nachos!

3 comments:

Sandra Eileen said...

This sounds great, I've tried the vegan cheese, yuck, tried mac and cheese with just basically nutritional yeast, less than delicious, and I love nuts, so I think I'll give it a go.

Tamara said...

Try it and let me know what you think, Sandra. I really like it!
:-)

Sandra Eileen said...

I just came over to you through the veg ring, way to go. plan on the mac and cheese this weekend.