This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Monday, December 17, 2007

Ginger Lime Cookies (vegan, of course)


Ginger Lime Cookies
These are really yummy!!!

3/4 cup vegetable shortening (preferably non-hydrogenated)
1 cup sugar
2 cups white whole wheat flour (or I'm sure all purpose flour would work too)
1 tablespoon powdered ginger
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup molasses

1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons lime juice (or however much it takes to reach desired consistency)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream shortening and sugar, then mix in flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, applesauce, and molasses, until fully combined. Form into balls, slightly flatten, and place on parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake for 10-15 minutes. After cookies have cooled, combine powdered sugar and lime juice in a shallow bowl and dip the top of each cookie in the icing.

3 comments:

Robin Marie said...

These look incredible! I'm definitely going to make some this week! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

These look so good. I'm very interested in exploring vegan food, which cookbooks do you particularly like?

Tamara said...

Linda, there are lots of great vegan cookbooks out there... lately I've been using 'Veganomicon,' 'Eat, Drink, & Be Vegan,' and 'The Joy of Vegan Baking' a lot, just because they are new... actually, I think I've been cooking more recipes I've found online lately than cookbook recipes.