This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Saturday, May 19, 2007

How cool is this?

I was just reading my newest edition of Bark magazine and apparently a company called MMI Genomics (sounds scary, doesn't it?) recently came out with a canine heritage breed test, which can tell you what breeds your mutt is from a cheek swab! When I started reading the article I figured it would be a several-hundred dollar test, but it's actually only $65, which seems pretty reasonable to me. I guess it's mostly just a curiosity thing, but wouldn't it be fun to know what Rowdy is?

rottweiler dog mutt

I finally got around to photographing this necklace that I made the other day. I'm really happy with how it turned out; it's different from anything I've done before. It's a double strand necklace - one strand is antiqued oversized oval sterling silver chain with sunstone rondelles, and the second strand is mostly faceted vasonite, with a section of Bali silver and a green garnet and sunstone pendant.

green orange necklace
Vasonite is a new stone for me - I just discovered it, and while it's not cheap, it is beautiful. I would describe it as similar to peridot but with a bit more of an olive hue. I've also heard it compared to a transluscent jade. I'll be listing this necklace on Etsy soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow I think that's super cool... I do want to know exactly what combo of breeds I have in my dog but I don't know if I want to know THAT ($65) bad :)

Anonymous said...

Wow..The necklace is so so pretty..I just love it!