This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Sunday, May 27, 2007

What to do with all those Strawberries...

It's that time of year! Get ready to see lots of fruity recipes from me in the coming weeks and months. Today I'm making Mango Ginger Tofu for dinner, which I plan to serve with rice pilaf and steamed broccoli. I'll post a review of that recipe tomorrow. And for dessert, modified from a Vegetarian Times recipe...


Strawberry Parfait

2 12-ounce packages silken tofu (I used lite firm but I think just about any kind of silken tofu will do)
12 ounces Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
3/4 cup powdered sugar
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 cups strawberries (this worked out to be about two of the little green baskets)
1 cup crushed walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine tofu, Tofutti cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and 2-1/2 cups strawberries in a food processor and puree until smooth. (You might need to do this in two batches; my food processor was almost maxed out.) Slice the remaining 2-1/2 cups strawberries and combine with mixture from food processor in a serving bowl (or individual glasses for a fancier presentation).

Spread walnuts in a small baking dish and bake until fragrant and lightly browned, 6-8 minutes (stir once or twice). Sprinkle parfait with walnuts and serve. (If you make and chill the parfait ahead of time, wait to sprinkle the walnuts on top until just before serving.)

2 comments:

Robin Marie said...

I tag you!:) Provided you haven't already been tagged share 7 random facts about you with us, and tag another 7 people (thats a huge number of people, oy).

Your blog has become my new favorite. I've never found any other that combines three of the greatest things in the world. Cute kid antics, gorgeous jewelry and absolutely fabulous recipes with delicious pictures!

VerĂ£o said...

Now that looks good. I'm going to give it a try!