This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Monday, March 17, 2008

How could anyone not think turkeys are beautiful???

The magnificent Melvin (photo from Peaceful Prairie's blog)

One of the blogs I subscribe to is Peaceful Prairie's. They don't post often, but when they do, look out - each essay is packed with emotion and insight, and likely to cause tears. This latest one really got to me, seeing as how I have such a preoccupation with turkeys...

3 comments:

Vegan_Noodle said...

I love the Peaceful Prairie.. my two adopted pigs live there!

jarvenpa said...

And yes, turkeys are beautiful. We have flocks that wander through our woods, looking like little dappled dinosaur birds, and sounding amazing when they fly up into the tall trees to roost.

selkie said...

Once again, just as I had done after reading "A Passionate Life," about Louise the hen, I cried, and cried, and cried once more after reading Melvin's story.
What a ghastly, cruel, twisted world we live in! One that treats these wonderful, delightful, sweet beings as wings and thighs and roast dinner. One that never gives even an inch to allow the smallest kindness or concern when they "raise" these innocent creatures in their horrible factory "farms," and sends them to the cruelest deaths imaginable - all without batting an eyelash.
It makes me ashamed to be a human being. But then there are kind, caring, and wonderful people like Joanna Lucas and the rest of the people at Peaceful Prairie. And so I have hope.
I've said it before, and will say it once again now: thank you! thank you, all of you at Peaceful Prairie for being there for Louise, Melvin and all the others. Thank You!