This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Still more rings

Okay, I know I just posted some new rings, so why the heck am I posting again, two minutes later? Because these babies deserve their own post, that's why. Up until now, I have hesitated to dip my toe into the pool of artists making stackable rings, because I didn't want to do what everyone else was already doing - I wasn't sure what I could offer that was new, different, and unique. I am happy to report that the dedicated creative time I took over the last couple of days allowed me to come up with what I feel is an exciting answer...

This first ring combines a polished sterling silver center band with a chunky rutilated quartz cabochon flanked by two oxidized and polished sterling silver bands. I love the way the black and white bands play off the black and white stone - very modern and striking.

rutilated quartz ring
stacked ring
black white ring(The rings can, of course, be worn individually as well, although I'm not sure why you'd want to when they look so fabulous all together!)

This second ring is for me, me, me. In fact, I'm wearing it now, with no plans to take it off anytime soon! Here, a Swiss blue topaz cabochon gets the same treatment as above, with the subtle addition of a band of square wire surrounding this luscious neon-blue stone.

swiss blue topaz
blue topaz ring
Matt likes the first one best, and I tend to agree that the whole black/white theme is indeed quite effective, but for my own ring I wanted something smaller, with a low profile, easy to wear every day. Many times lately, I have found myself in conversations with people who, upon hearing what I do for a living, ask if I'm wearing any of my own creations, and I sheepishly reply 'no'... I have a tendency to sell everything I make, seldom keeping anything for myself, and the one ring I have made for myself is pretty huge - not the best for daily wear. So this one's mine, but I'd be happy to re-create it for anyone else who wants to purchase one.

I have a feeling I'm going to be making lots more of these stacked black and white rings, and I kind of want to come up with a name for this style, but I'm totally stumped... they remind me of Oreo cookies, but that would probably be some kind of copyright infringement. :-) Any ideas?


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh, you got me to de-lurk. i usually just watch your posts to drool over the gorgeous pieces you make! in any case, de-lurking to say: if you stick with the original dessert/sweets inspiration, there are a lot of layered desserts out there! mille feuille (aka napoleon), trifle, layer cake...just a thought!

Lotta said...

I can totally relate to the "wearing my own jewellery" dilemma. I seldom wear jewellery at all, but I have recently made some pieces just for me, to wear when there's a chance I get to talk about my jewellery (for example the bracelet and earrings in my latest blog posts).

Dana said...

I'm on a total budget, but I think I'm going to have to break on this when I get paid again.
For the b/w ring, I immediately thought of Cruella DeVille and Dalmatians.

winterskeeper said...

Since there are three rings, how about simply "Trio"?

girl least likely to said...

holy smokes, tamara, i LOVE these. they're gorgee.

Vegan Girl (Roni Seabury) said...

Very cool rings. I like the extra bands. I like Cindy's idea of Napoleon for a name.

I will be at Animal Place on 4/5, bummer I won't be able to go with you. But yes, I will come for dinner on 4/6

Anonymous said...

Oh, you did find a way to freshen up the stacking ring concept: by adding big, beautiful rocks:-) Lovely.

Vegan_Noodle said...

OH I love the rutilated quartz. And the contrast with the bands. Gorgeous as usual...

Anonymous said...

AWESOME DESIGNS! This is a fresh take on the cabochon stackable rings I have seen around. None have the different bands like this. The cabochons look like hard candy pieces, so it would be cool to have a name relating to something sweet - like "Candy Snaps" or something silly like that. These are really nice! Ingrid :-)

Anonymous said...

Your rings keep getting better and better. The one you are keeping for yourself is beautiful!!!