This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Friday, March 7, 2008

Trying Something New

Ever since I learned how to solder and bezel set last year and my rings began to sell well, I've had a bit of an ongoing problem - balancing my need/desire to work in my metal studio with my need to keep up with my indoor tasks (making beaded jewelry, filling orders for ready-made pieces, filling bead orders, maintaining my Etsy shops, blogging, Flickr, etc. etc. etc.). And of course, all of these things must be balanced with time spent with my family and doing other things that are meaningful to me - volunteering, exercising, cooking, reading... I'm sure you can all relate - life is hectic.

Well, things have been getting especially intense lately. I'm so grateful for the increased sales; I don't know how to express how happy it makes me to know that people are enjoying my designs. I don't mean to whine. But something's gotta give! So for the next few days, I'm going to try something a little different and see how it feels.

For the next several days, I'm planning my time more carefully. I'll either be spending full days in my metal studio getting caught up on custom orders, and perhaps even making some new pieces for my shop, or full days devoted to family time and household projects. I've put notices up in both my shops to let people know that they won't be hearing from me during that time. I'm going to unplug (as completely as possible, although I doubt that I'll manage to stay totally off-line) and not worry about filling bead orders or any of those other things that suck my time up like a big sponge. Any orders (for either jewelry or beads) that I receive between now and Tuesday (3/11) will be shipped on Wednesday (3/12). Any Etsy convos or emails will be answered around that time as well. I feel the need to really devote some intense energy to my work - my actual work - the pieces I create - not all the other stuff. I know it's all important, and I'll get back to it soon, but for now, if you need me, you can come find me in the garage with my torch. I'll talk to you all soon.

xoxoxoxo

3 comments:

Vegan Girl (Roni Seabury) said...

I am happy to hear your business is going so well! Go with what your heart tells you to do. It will all work out.

Anonymous said...

isn't it the best benefit of working for yourself. You set up your own schedule!!!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Glad you are taking a bit of a break. But also very glad you are in such high demand! So well derserved!