This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Monday, August 27, 2007

I am immersed in vegan deliciousness

Life has been all about yummy vegan food for the past couple of days. I have been cooking up a storm with my two new cookbooks and I thought I should post now rather than wait until the end of the week because if I wait there will be way too much vegan food to tell you about.

Yesterday I made corn chowder from Vegan with a Vengeance and the sweet, summery taste of the fresh corn was really good. I had it for dinner with broccoli (by the way, Carlos LOVES broccoli - today he even ate it before his watermelon, which is unpreceded behavior!) and some fresh-baked bread. I'm kind of picky about soup - even though I enjoyed this one, and will happily finish the leftovers, I'm not sure if I'd make it again. Soup has to be really special for me to add it to my repetoire.

Today I made Cannellini Bean Yam Hummus from Vive le Vegan and holy cow, that was some awesome hummus - absolutely incredible - I can't say enough good things about it. YUM. I had it tonight on a sandwich with more homemade bread, tempeh 'bacon' (somewhat following a VWAV recipe but modified to fit the ingredients I had on hand), avocado, sprouts, and tomato. It was one of the best sandwiches I've ever had, thanks to that yummy hummus.

Also today I made the VWAV lemon poppyseed muffins. So far that's the only thing I managed to photograph. They are really good and not overly sweet like the lemon poppyseed muffins I remember eating in my pre-vegan days. (I would imagine, if you like them sweeter, they would probably be good with some extra sugar too, but I like them just fine as is.)


Tomorrow I'm going to make strawberry shortcake on homemade scones with some kind of whipped cream-esque topping made with macadamia nuts! (Also from VWAV.) I will be sure to photograph that - it should be pretty.

I also received my latest order from Vegan Essentials today. I ordered some of my favorite lip balm, as well as some sweet treats... my first tub of Ricemellow (not sure what I'll use it for but I was curious), a container of Sweet & Sara Marshmallows (I tried one today, they are SO good - I'm going to see if I can find some vegan graham crackers and make s'mores in the front yard with Matt one of these nights after Carlos is asleep), and a few Sjaaks vegan peanut butter cups. I tried *one* of those today too (such self-restraint!) (and so many parentheses!) and it was quite good. The peanut filling wasn't as sweet as a traditional peanut butter cup, which was actually nice - it was like a peanut butter cup for grownups. Ha.

Okay, enough food talk. I haven't made much jewelry these past couple of days since Matt has been working and I am on my own with Carlos, plus I've been cooking and doing dishes like a madwoman. But I did manage to make this sweet little rainbow moonstone ring.



2 comments:

Vegan_Noodle said...

That is definitely vegan deliciousness!! I have been eyeing that hummus recipe from Vive as well, must try it soon! I also have a batch of the lemon poppyseed muffins at home, my breakfast in the morning this week. I agree that it's nice that they're not overly sweet....feels healthier somehow!
Enjoy those marshmallows, and if you're looking for a graham cracker recipe, try vctotw blog.
Can't wait to see the strawberry shortcake!!

Anonymous said...

I definitely plan to make the hummus. It sounds wonderful. I'm not surprised to hear that Carlos loves brocolli. I am surprised to hear that he even prefers it over watermelon. Will you be sharing the hummus recipe?