This blog is now hosted on my website at mcfarlanddesigns.com/blog-posts; please update your bookmarks to follow the latest posts. Thanks!

Friday, August 31, 2007

Isa Chandra Moskowitz is a Goddess

I think I have a new favorite recipe - it's the Cold Udon Noodles with Peanut Sauce and Seitan in Isa's book, Vegan with a Vengeance. If you don't already own this book, it is worth buying it for this one single recipe, I promise. I actually thought to myself while eating dinner last night, 'I really don't want this meal to end.' (embarassing but true) I have been really terrible about taking pictures lately so I apologize for not including one... you will just have to take my word for it that this was one of those once-in-a-lifetime kind of vegan recipes.


I also made this delicious whole wheat bread from the Vivacious Vegan. It is very tasty and has a nice light texture, which can be hard to achieve with 100% whole wheat flour. We had it for french toast (I'm still searching for a vegan french toast recipe that makes me say 'Wow'... haven't found it yet), and on tempeh bacon/hummus/tomato/sprouts sandwiches. Thanks Crystal for the great recipe!



And finally last night I got a little bit of jewelry making done. I'm now offering these gemstone rings (iolite, labradorite, ruby, and prehnite) with gold filled wire in addition to sterling silver, plus I added a gold version of my triple-pearl ring (Swarovski simulated pearls - vegan, of course).
I tried making one of the Eni-style rings I've been so obsessed with in gold as well.

I'm fairly happy with the result; I think the combination of the gold with the beautiful charoite stone is really striking, but the gold wire is harder to work with so I don't know if I'll be doing too many more like this. (Does anyone know if you can buy gold filled wire in a softer temper, and if so, where? This gold stuff is totally new to me.)


Also, here's a picture of a wire-wrapped ocean jasper bangle bracelet I made a looooong time ago but somehow never got around to photographing. I like how the clasp turned out.



And finally, I have to share my excitement... tomorrow is the first day of a jewelry fabrication class I'm taking. I am SO excited! I get to learn how to solder and set stones in bezels and all kinds of fun things that will hopefully open up some new creative avenues for me with my jewelry making. The class runs for three Saturdays in a row, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. - I'm not sure in that amount of time exactly how much we'll be able to cover, but I figure I will at least be able to give it a try and see if it's something I want to pursue (and I have a feeling it will be).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that whole wheat bread recipe. It's the only one I've found that creates a sandwhich type loaf. I'm so glad you also enjoyed it.

Ángela said...

That ring is beautiful! I get dead-soft gold-filled wire from FireMountain... have you tried there?

Wildcard said...

Do you have any tutorials on the wire rings and the ocean jasper bracelet? They're beautiful!

Tamara said...

I don't have a specific link for you, Wildcard, but I learned the techniques from Eni Oken's website many years ago. Good luck.